Free Streaming Services See Increase in Viewership
State of streaming: Higher prices, more ads and less content.
Streaming services have increased prices faster than the pace of inflation — despite cutting back on new content.
Here’s how much prices have increased in the US:
- Apple TV+ (40% price increase last October)
- Disney+ (37.5% increase last December)
- Netflix (11% increase in Jan. 2022)
- HBO Max (7% increase this past January)
Streamers struggle: The market has become much more competitive, consumers are spending less, and customers are angry at Netflix’s password-sharing crackdown. Last month, Netflix viewership fell to its lowest since May 2022.
The result: Higher prices alongside a tougher economy have driven consumers toward
bootlegging free streaming services.
Within a year, the monthly average viewing minutes on US free streaming services increased **57% —** driving up the popularity of free ad-supported streaming services like:
- Fox-owned Tubi (NASDAQ:FOX)
- Roku-owned The Roku Channel (NASDAQ:ROKU)
- Paramount-owned Pluto TV (NASDAQ:PARA)
Watch: Netflix’s earnings report on April 18.