Moderna wants investors to look beyond COVID
We all know Moderna for one thing…
But the company wants investors to look at it for more than just a piece of COVID vaccine.
To most, COVID has become a thing of the past, and the World Health Organization has seen a sharp decrease in vaccine demand.
It’s uncertain where demand will stabilize.
Moderna is watching its sales evaporate:
- Moderna’s sales went from near zero in 2021 to $18.4B in 2022.
- This year, it forecasts its sales to be at least ~$5B (72% decline).
$MRNA has risen over 60% since October from positive results on its:
1/ Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccine. Results from this week show an 83.7% effectiveness at preventing RSV in those aged 60+.
- RSV leads to 60K-120K hospitalizations each year.
- Analysts predict the RSV vaccine market could be worth $5B+.
2/ Vaccine for deadly skin cancer Melanoma — which impacts over 100K people in the US yearly.
- In December, Moderna released positive results, showing a 44% cut in recurrence or death.
- The drug is being developed in partnership with Merck (NYSE:MRK) — expecting to move into Phase 3 clinical trials this year.
What’s next? Moderna is using its cutting-edge Messenger RNA (mRNA) technique to develop other vaccines. They’ve got 48 programs in development, 36 ongoing clinical trials and four drugs in Phase 3 clinical trials — which $MRNA’s fortunes are heavily dependent on.