Investment ideas from world’s largest hedge fund Bridgewater Associates (2022Q1)
Bridgewater Associates is the world’s largest hedge fund, founded by the famous investor Ray Dalio. Here are new positions made in the first quarter of 2022 by Bridgewater, per their latest 13F filing…
These are the top sectors among the 261 new positions initiated in Bridgewater’s portfolio (based on the total market value of positions):
- 2022 Q1 (current quarter): Information Technology (27.5% of new positions), Materials (15.9%) and Financial (15.4%).
- 2021 Q4 (previous quarter): Industrials (20.7%), Utilities (19.4%) and Financial (17%).
These were the largest (by market value) among Bridgewater’s new positions:
- Medtronic (NYSE:MDT) — a medical device equipment company (0.84% of portfolio).
- Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK.B) — Warren Buffett’s famous holding company (0.43% of portfolio).
Six of Bridgewater’s twenty new positions initiated were material companies:
- Linde plc (NYSE:LIN) — an industrial gas and engineering company (0.36% of portfolio).
- Newmont (NYSE:NEM) — the world’s largest gold mining company (0.17% of portfolio).
Bridgewater also increased its holdings in:
- Chinese tech stocks, including Alibaba (NYSE:BABA) and Pinduoduo (NYSE:PDD) — which make up 3.3% and 0.8% of Bridgewater’s portfolio, respectively.
- Global emerging markets through the iShares Core MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (NYSE:EEM) (3.5% of total portfolio).
- Consumer staple and defensive stocks like Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG), Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) and Coca-Cola Co. (NYSE:KO).